Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Humbled by the 5k

Not even 24 hours after I wrote the blog about our Bucket List did Dan begin surfing the internet for 5ks as well as training programs. We decided that we would give the Grape Day 5k a try as it is local and the race is in September, which would give us enough time to prepare. Dan then got extremely gung-ho and found several more races for us to tackle. No, not other 5ks, that would be too easy! He found a 10k on Thanksgiving, a 15k in January, a half marathon in March and then the ultimate goal of completing the Rock and Roll Marathon in San Diego on May 31, 2014. While we have signed up for the 5k, we are going to wait at least a few weeks to see how running works for us, but we are definitely planning to sign up! If you would like to join us for any of the races, please do!

As I mentioned, in addition to signing us up for the 5k, Dan found us a training program for the run (he also found training programs for the other runs as well). Each week you are to run a specified distance three times a week, another three times a week you can run, rest, or do some other exercise, and the the final day of the week you rest. The specific program he found has us start by running 1.5 miles 3 days a week, and then increasing a quarter mile each week for 8 weeks until you are running 3 miles and then you are good to go for the race.

We both haven't run in quite some time, so needless to say I was a little nervous. So we decided to do a trial day this past Sunday where we would give it our best to run 1.5 miles without stopping. Dan wanted to push it and try and push it and run at a pace of 6.5 miles an hour or FASTER. I thought he was crazy and so he agreed we could run at a pace of 6 miles per hour. I was so nervous that I would not be able to make the 1.5 miles since the last time we ran I had to stop (mind you it was 1.5 miles up hill, but that is neither here nor there). However, I felt like I rocked it. My heart rate monitor didn't ever reach the point where it was beeping (when I reach my max heart rate), and I felt totally in control the entire time.  In fact, I felt like I could run longer! I was so proud of myself and on cloud nine.

Monday we saw our trainer for our usual butt kicking session, and I still felt great. For our next 1.5 mile we decided to go run at the Strand, which is a road right next to the beach. This past Saturday when we did our bike ride to the beach, Dan measured .75 miles on the Strand, so we would know where the half way point was for our 1.5 mile run. This run was much different. While my heart rate monitor didn't ever beep, I was wiped out! My calves were beyond sore. My entire body was drained! We went home and took a short nap.  I needed it because I had signed up for a Pilates class later that night. By the end of the night my calves were on fire and spirits were down. I felt if I couldn't run 1.5 miles without my legs killing me how could I do a 5k, or 26.2? Dan was very encouraging.  He said we could push our run days around if we needed to and he would not let me give up!

Our next run is planned for tomorrow.  Wish us luck!

1 comment: