Monday, October 13, 2014

TOMS...the Shoes of the Working Teacher

When I first stated teaching I would wear cute little (and I do mean little) heels and my feet would be fine. As time went on I moved to more wedges, and I could still be fine. Last year I switched classrooms and things changed for my feet. I was now in a classroom that was originally designed to be a science lab, thus it had no carpet, just tile. The carpet in all the rooms I have ever taught in was very small and so I always figured it did nothing. So not the case. Now that I was standing on classroom tile all day I learned how much cushion that little bit of carpet actually provided. Or maybe it was turning 30, but something happened and my feet began to die. I found that the only shoes I could wear all day were my running shoes and the one pair of TOMS that I had.

Now, I must confess that I was extremely ANTI TOMS when I received my first pair. I am very much not into getting what is considered popular...I do not like following trends. I know that to some extent we all do because that it what is in stores, but there are some things that stand out more than others with regards to trends, and to me TOMS was one of them, so I wanted nothing to do with them. But, I received them as a gift from my sister and her then boyfriend (now fiancé) for a Christmas present. They were pink and glittery, so they had that going for them. I decided to try them out on a college Thursday when I wore a pink Yale shirt. They were pretty comfy and the students thought I was cool. At this time I was still in the room with minimal carpet, so I only wore them here and there. The next school year I again wore them on a college Thursday with a pink college shirt and my feet finally felt some relief. I was in heaven.

This past summer for my birthday that was all I asked for TOMS, and much to my surprise that is what my family got me! I now have the pair that started it all (the pink glittery pair), a pair of blue canvas ones, a pair of brown canvas ones, a colorful burlap pair, and a black glitter pair. Yes, I now have 5 pairs of TOMS and they are pretty much the only thing that I wear to work. I did get a pair of gel heel inserts to compliment them, but overall they are amazing. I wear them with skirts. I wear them with dress pants. I wear them with dresses. Having the five pairs allows me to wear them with just about everything I have. I will admit it, I am a TOMS addict, but my feet thank me!

No comments:

Post a Comment